Andrii is the Head of Media at TNW, with over a decade of experience in covering the European tech ecosystem. Talk to him about new and exci Andrii is the Head of Media at TNW, with over a decade of experience in covering the European tech ecosystem. Talk to him about new and exciting developments in tech, especially those involving vastly underreported industry niches and geographies.
The news doesn’t respect weekends and public holidays, and every time you go offline there’s always a backlog of stories worth reading when you return. Find the most interesting and meaningful news and reads from The Next Web and elsewhere in this brief round-up.
In the news
- The big fight begins: Windows XP drops below 40% market share while Windows 8 passes 1%.
- Apple has joined the ranks of businesses around the world to support the World AIDS Day by changing all its retail store logos to red.
- Trim time! Yahoo Messenger will lose public chat rooms, Windows Live Messenger support, Pingbox, and Yahoo Voice Phone In and Phone Out capabilities on December 14.
- Internet in Syria began to be coming back on Saturday, following two days offline.
- Microsoft is going to add music playback capabilities to SkyDrive, perhaps taking Xbox Music to iOS and Android.
- A man is charged $1.5 million for sharing 7 porn flicks on Bittorrent in “the largest file-sharing related damage award in U.S. history.”
- A fresh draft of President Obama’s potential executive order on cybersecurity has been leaked, and widely critiqued.
- “American Banker” has named Square’s Jack Dorsey Innovator of the Year, praising his impact on payments space.
- Following exclusive interview with CNN, John McAfee reportedly has been captured, according to his own blog.
- A slippery slope: UK ISPs have blocked The Promo Bay, a completely legal site separate from The Pirate Bay.
Good reads from our authors
- Did smartphones kill the trivia star? Maybe, but Google-proof quizzes could help beat the cheats.
- What happens after you win a big startup competition? We asked 7 champions from major events.
- A practical guide on accurately scheduling client projects.
- Cloud atlas: A weather forecast on the Chinese cloud industry.
- Five unconventional places to shop for your holiday gifts.
- The life and times of Kim Dotcom.
- How to hire the right developer for your tech startup.
- Meet Elephanti, the loyalty card version of Foursquare designed to bring customers inside the retail store.
- The valley vs. the rest: The state of the venture capital industry.
Good reads from beyond TNW
- Startups, please write better emails! [MHJ.tc]
- Disruptions: Silencing the Voices of Militants on Twitter [The New York Times]
- Dear ITU, please don’t bill Internet use like phone calls [ArsTechnica]
- The product lens [Chris Dixon]
- Breaking Through Cloud Addiction [TechCrunch]
- How script kiddies can hijack your browser to steal your password [ArsTechnica]
- The future of Ubuntu revealed [TechRadar]
Image credit: Paul J. Richards / Getty Images.
Get the TNW newsletter
Get the most important tech news in your inbox each week.