The first full week in October has seen some big events in the tech sphere. European tech showed its continuing growth with companies like Tado and Clue raising significant funding rounds, and a new Unicorn is born in cloud commerce monetization company AppDirect .
This week in numbers
Index recorded 141 funding events and 34 acquisitions this week. The median amount raised by startups was $3 million, a 6 percent decrease compared to last week. The largest investment round was raked in by Chinese real-estate platform Fangdd , which received $330 million in a series C round, spurred on by the adjustment of home-ownership restrictions in China.
Four breakout funding rounds
Graphic design service Canva pulled in an impressive $15 million Series A round, with backers including Woody Harrelson and Owen Wilson. The Australian startup’s total funding is now just over $27.9 million.
- Facebook is testing emoji reactions – this is the ‘dislike button’ [The Next Web]
- Amazon launches Etsy rival ‘Handmade At Amazon’ [HuffPost Tech]
- Google wants to speed up the mobile web with AMP [The Next Web]
- Twitter makes it official: Jack Dorsey is back as permanent CEO [Re/code]
- Everything Microsoft announced at its devices event in one handy list [The Next Web]
- Pandora acquires Ticketfly for $450M to sell concert tickets [Tech Crunch]