Apple has today released iTunes 10.5 beta 9 to developers. These releases are intended to help developers testing the Music Match features of iTunes and iOS 5.
Tunes 10.5 Beta 9 Release Notes
- iTunes 10.5 beta 9 includes several performance enhancements and bug fixes, and is a required update for all subscribers to iTunes Match beta.
- Your iCloud libraries will be deleted at the end of this beta.
- Backup regularly and do not delete the music you add to iCloud from your computer. Apple
- may periodically delete all iCloud libraries during the beta period. This will require you to scan, match, and upload songs again.
- Also note that some of the features and optimizations of iTunes Match may not be available during this beta.
We have been informed that the iTunes 10.5 beta 9 update notes refer to several issues with iTunes match including the fact that the ‘scan and match’ service is not fully enabled yet and that some songs may not be recognized as matches even if they are on the iTunes store. These songs will be uploaded to iTunes Match regardless of their status. You can also only add music from one computer at a time.
iTunes Match was one of several major pillars of Apple’s new iCloud product that was announced at WWDC. Once you have installed the iTunes beta, you have access to a new ‘iTunes Match’ tab that allows you to begin scanning your library for songs that match Apple’s database.
If your songs match then they will be added to your iTunes Match catalog, if they do not match, iTunes will upload the songs, along with any artwork, that it is missing. Although the service is in beta the $24.99 yearly price tag still applies but developers will get three months free for participating.
iOS 5 is the next major revision to Apple’s software for iPhone, iPod, Apple TV and iPad devices. The new OS is slated for release in the fall of this year. You can see our complete rundown of the iOS announcements at WWDC here. We’ve also got a closer look at some of the features of iOS like iMessages, Twitter, Setup and Notification Center, iCloud and alerts.
This is a developing story, more to follow. Please refresh for updates.