Andrii is the Head of Media at TNW, with over a decade of experience in covering the European tech ecosystem. Talk to him about new and exci Andrii is the Head of Media at TNW, with over a decade of experience in covering the European tech ecosystem. Talk to him about new and exciting developments in tech, especially those involving vastly underreported industry niches and geographies.
So, how was your weekend? If you spent it offline, this round-up post is for you to catch up with the news and interesting reads that surfaced over the past two days.
In the news
- Thanks to a recent code revision to the Chromium project, it appears Google has plans to bring Android’s Google Now to the desktop, arriving by way of Chrome’s own desktop notifications.
- You can still view Instagram photos on Twitter, using a simple IFTTT recipe.
- Android users seeking USB drivers for Windows are targeted with malware infecting both PCs and mobile devices.
- Twitter’s photo filters may already be live, as employees test them in new iOS and Android apps.
- Square has integrated Apple’s Passbook and introduced gift cards for iOS app users.
- Facebook data suggests that Microsoft has sold 4.2 million Windows Phone handsets since October.
- Heckbent on blocking out YouTube, Iran launches its own Web video service: Mehr.ir.
- Negotiations in Dubai are stuck in the reeds, as the US pushes to guide UN conference on Internet regulation.
Good reads and discussions
- Bringing the start menu back to Windows 8 is bad news
- Copyright: Holding back the torrent
- How Greek startups are doing their part to beat the crisis
- Sooner: A gorgeous wheel-based to-do list app for iOS
- Nine nonprofits and social enterprises creating incredible communities online
- Behind the rise of the 3D printing revolution
- The future of money: New paradigms for the checkout, banking & currency
- 19 handy Google tricks that you weren’t aware of
- Why 2013 will be the year of the Internet of Things
Noteworthy stories from elsewhere
- Gabe Newell: Living Room PCs Will Compete With Next-Gen Consoles [Kotaku]
- Billion-Dollar Flop: Air Force Stumbles on Software Plan [The New York Times]
- Ask any entrepreneur: The freelance economy is a sucker’s game [Pando Daily]
- Tech Is Making Meetings Worse, It’s Time For Digital Hat Racks [TechCrunch]
- Disruptions: How My Smartphone Emptied My Pockets [The New York Times]
- 25-GPU cluster cracks every standard Windows password in <6 hours [ArsTechnica]
- Forget the Internet of Things, this is the Skateboard of Awesome
- Syrian rebels build a homemade tank featuring an apparent PlayStation controller for the turret
Image credit: Morne de Klerk / Getty Images.
Get the TNW newsletter
Get the most important tech news in your inbox each week.