Want to keep the TNW Conference vibe going?? Tickets for TNW2022 are available now >>

The heart of tech

This article was published on April 16, 2012

    Anonymous says it took the CIA website offline again with new DDoS attack

    Anonymous says it took the CIA website offline again with new DDoS attack
    Jon Russell
    Story by

    Jon Russell

    Jon Russell was Asia Editor for The Next Web from 2011 to 2014. Originally from the UK, he lives in Bangkok, Thailand. You can find him on T Jon Russell was Asia Editor for The Next Web from 2011 to 2014. Originally from the UK, he lives in Bangkok, Thailand. You can find him on Twitter, Angel List, LinkedIn.

    Hacker group Anonymous claimed it took down the CIA website for the second time in two months following a new DDoS attack on the US secret service which lasted 45 minutes.

    Anonymous member Havittaja made the claim which, though not a hack that endangers data or leaves a message from the group, does mean that the CIA website is offline and unable to load.

    The group first claimed to have taken the CIA website offline following a DDoS attack in February. That attack saw the CIA site experience issues for three days and this time around the site was offline for 45 minutes, although it was still loading slowly for a further 30 minutes.

    The loosely grouped hacking collective had previously targeted US authorities following the decision to seize and prosecute file sharing service Megaupload. ‘Operation Megaupload‘ saw the Department of Justice (DoJ) website taken down, amongst other targets.

    Issues with the website were not confirmed by the CIA, and it remains unclear exactly what was responsible for the problem.