The changelog for version 8.4.0 of the app notes the addition of the streaming controls, which you can access via Netflix’s settings.
It provides fairly granular control over how much cellular data the app might use. By default Netflix sets quality automatically based on network conditions, but with a switch of a toggle you can set more specific limits:
- Only stream video while on Wi-Fi
- Low- Four hours of video per GB
- Medium – Two hours of video per GB
- High – One hour of video per GB
- Unlimited – Maximum possible quality
It’s a small but thoughtful touch that could help you know exactly how much data you’re using while watching Netflix on your next commute.
Now if only Netflix would allow you to save videos offline to watch later…