This is remarkable, by any standard.
YouTube has just announced that over it has broken the 24 hour mark for videos uploaded every minute.
In mid-2007, six hours of video were uploaded to YouTube every minute. In January of this year, it became 15 hours of video uploaded every minute, “the equivalent of Hollywood releasing over 86,000 new full-length movies into theaters each week” as they described it back then.
In a post announcing the feat, YouTube puts it into context:
- The earth rotates 360 degrees as it orbits the sun
- The second hand on your bedside clock ticks 86,400 times
- The earth’s fastest rocket can reach Saturn
- The most skilled climber reaches Mount Everest’s summit
- 2.5 days go by on Jupiter
- One whole series of 24