Dutch übergeek and Star trek fan Pascal vd Heiden built his own Home Automation computer and modeled it after the LCARS interface from Star Trek. Check out the movie and read his description:
This is what I built in my home and this video is my own work. Both the computer and the software is self made. The interface is inspired by the LCARS interface from Star Trek.
Shown in this video are:
- Shopping list (Groceries)
- Rain radar
- Train departure times (because the train station is nearby)
- Library & Media player (connected to home cinema set)
- Internet browser
Not shown, but also operational:
- Bluetooth support (notice the Transfer button, allows you to send MP3s or the shopping list to your telephone)
- Torrent downloading (notice the Downloads button under the Multimedia category and the Downloads directory in the library)
More will be added as I get ideas and time to develop them. Why don’t I control my home lights with this? Because the needed hardware costs a LOT and the light switch next to the door is more practical in the end anyway. Maybe some day I will add it just because it is cool.