Sony has announced its latest smartphone after outing the Xperia ZR, an Android-powered device featuring a 4.6-inch HD display, 13 megapixel camera, 2GB RAM and a 1.5 GHz Snapdragon processor from Qualcomm under the hood.
The Xperia ZR will begin hitting markets from Q2 2013, pricing is still to be confirmed but it is looks like being a mid-range version of the flagship Xperia Z. Like its 5-inch sized bigger brother, the Xperia ZR is water-resistant up to 1.5 metres (for up to 30 minutes), allowing users to capture photos and full HD videos while submerged.
The 4G-enabled smartphone comes with Sony’s ‘Stamina’ battery conservation technology — which the company claims can extend battery life four-fold by managing the use of apps that suck up power — while it features NFC and comes equipped with the company’s Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2 “for sharp and bright viewing experiences”.
Calum MacDougall, Director of Xperia Marketing at Sony Mobile Communications, emphasizes the significance of the underwater capabilities:
“The Xperia ZR pushes the boundaries on where and how consumers can use the full potential of their smartphone. By combining Sony’s leading camera technology with the highest level of water-resistance, you will never miss another moment. Bringing together the best of Sony’s leading technology, media applications and easy one-touch connectivity with the largest ever range of NFC-enabled accessories, the Xperia ZR delivers the unique smartphone experience that people can expect from Sony.”
We can expect to know more as the device is given specific market launch dates, we won’t have long to wait.
Full Xperia ZR specs:
- 4.6” HD Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2 for sharp and bright viewing experience
- 13MP fast capture camera with “Exmor RS for mobile” and HDR for perfect photos and videos in any conditions
- Waterproof* and dust-resistant (IP55 /IP58) for the ultimate in durable design
- Qualcomm Snapdragon™ S4 Pro quad-core 1.5 GHz processor with 2GB RAM for fast performance
- Battery STAMINA Mode for outstanding battery life