TNW readers will remember that this is the same app that Apple and Microsoft were at war over. After Microsoft rolled out the ability for SkyDrive users to purchase more storage space on the service, it was stopped from updating its app in the App Store because the company didn’t and perhaps still does not pay Apple a 30 percent cut of the subscription revenue it generates.
F**k it, we'll do it live!
Our biggest ever edition of TNW Conference is fast approaching! Join 10,000 tech leaders this May in Amsterdam.
The two companies have since got past this hurdle (we have contacted Microsoft to find out how) with the release of SkyDrive 3.0 for iOS:
As you can see, the new version includes a revamped user interface (including new app icons). Microsoft has also finally added support for the iPhone 5 and the iPad mini.
The biggest improvement is, however, in regards to the new photo features. You can now control the size of photos that you both upload or download (up to full resolution). Furthermore, photo metadata is retained when you upload to SkyDrive, a big boon for photography enthusiasts.
The full SkyDrive 3.0 for iOS changelog is as follows:
- Support for iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.
- Updated app icons and user experience.
- Works better with your photos: Download full resolution photos to your iPhone or iPad, control the size of photos you upload and download, and photo metadata is retained when you upload to SkyDrive.
- Opening and saving files to SkyDrive works better with other apps on your iOS devices.
- Many other small changes, bug fixes and performance improvements.
This update is massive and definitely one all SkyDrive users should get if they have an iOS device. As for whether Microsoft ended up giving into Apple’s demands, we’re looking into it and we’ll let you know as soon as we know more.
Top Image credit: Asif Akbar
Disclosure: This article contains an affiliate link. While we only ever write about products we think deserve to be on the pages of our site, The Next Web may earn a small commission if you click through and buy the product in question. For more information, please see our Terms of Service.