It may seem like Samsung is on a roll with its celebrity-endorsed selfies, but the company just met its match. According to The Wall Street Journal, the White House has objected to the way the smartphone maker has publicized a selfie photo of President Obama and Major League Baseball player David Ortiz.
White House press secretary Jay Carney told the Journal:
As a rule the White House objects to attempts to use the president’s likeness for commercial purposes…And we certainly object in this case.
So. Much. Tech.
Some of the biggest names in tech are coming to TNW Conference in Amsterdam this May.
In case you missed it, here’s the original tweet with the photo:
— David Ortiz (@davidortiz) April 1, 2014
And here’s Samsung’s response:
— Samsung Mobile US (@SamsungMobileUS) April 1, 2014
Samsung said in a statement earlier this week that, after learning of the visit with the President, it “worked with [Ortiz] and the team on how to share images with fans.”
While the Obama administration didn’t indicate whether it plans to take any legal, it’s safe to say that Samsung wants to avoid getting on Obama’s bad side.