The Socialbakers’ new tool is using several parameters to detect “fake or empty followers”:
- The Following / Followers ratio is less than 50 Following / 1 Follower
- They repeat spam phrases like “diet,” “make money,” and “work from home”
- Tweets are repeated more than three times
- More than 90% of the account´s tweets are retweets
- More than 90% of tweets are links and the profile has a following: followers ratio of 7 : 1 or more. This means, for example, that the profile is following 7 others while only being followed by 1.
- The account has never tweeted
Inactive followers are defined as those having “only 1 or 2 retweets on profile” or their last tweet “older than 3 months.”
Although Socialbakers claims that the tool allows you to “type in any Twitter handle you want, which means that you can analyze anyone from Justin Bieber to your competition,” at the time of writing it only worked with the account the user was currently logged in to in Twitter.
Users of Fake Followers Check are limited to 10 requests per day, so use them wisely.
Image credit: AFP / Getty Images.