Have you heard of charitybuzz? Well you should. The for-profit company in NYC raises funds for nonprofits through very cool online auctions with celebrities, influencers and brands. Since its launch in 2005, charitybuzz has raised $50 million.
charitybuzz is taking an interesting go-between angle in the online charity world. The company basically hooks nonprofits up with crazy celebrity experiences and then auctions off those VIP experiences to raise cash. Consumers can feel good about hanging with Cee-Lo backstage knowing that their money went to a charity instead of feeling shallow for just wanting to hang with someone famous.
For this holiday season, charitybuzz is launching its second “Gifts That Give Twice Holiday Auction”. Last year’s holiday auction raised $750,000 for charities, and this year the company is hoping to break $1 million.
So, if you’re looking for a crazy awesome gift this holiday season, check out the list below. (I’ve bolded my favorites.) Auction proceeds support the work of nonprofit organizations such as the Make A Wish Foundation, the RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights, WhyHunger, Pencils of Promise, and the GO Campaign. Bidding begins November 22nd and runs through December 19th at charitybuzz.com.
charitybuzz holiday auction highlights include:
- Meet Jonah Hill at the red carpet premiere of 21 Jump Street to benefit the GO Campaign
- Meet AOL’s co-founder and former CEO Steve Case for a one-on-one lunch to benefit the RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights
- Ski Colorado with US Gold Medalist Lindsey Vonn to benefit The Tory Burch Foundation
- Score an 8 to 12 week paid internship at AOL, a 3 month internship at Gilt Groupe, or a 2 week internship at BetaWorks
- Own Justin Bieber’s pet snake Johnson to benefit Pencils of Promise
- Have lunch with Mark Hammil aka Luke Skywalker to benefit the RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights
- Become a character in Madden NFL 13 to benefit the ACLU of Southern California
- Take home Donald Trump’s Christmas tree in Macy’s Believe Auction to benefit the Make a Wish Foundation
- Meet Judd Apatow, tour his studio and spend the day hanging out to benefit Scholarmatch
- Hang with Cee-Lo Green backstage and snap some pics with VIP seats at an upcoming concert to benefit the Obakki Foundation
- Make a star-studded debut with a walk-on role on How I Met Your Mother to benefit the Mullgan Project
- Meet Jenna Fischer on the set of The Office to benefit the RFK Center
- Fly with Donna Karan and Ben Stiller on a weekend humanitarian trip to Haiti to benefit the RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights
- Bring two friends for a tennis lesson with Anna Kournikova to benefit the Chris Evert Foundation
- Meet Tony Hawk when you visit his private skatepark to benefit WhyHunger
Additional participating celebrities include Cyndi Lauper, Tory Burch, Jacques Pepin, Eva Longoria, Hayden Panetierre, Michael Buble, the cast of Boardwalk Empire, Charlize Theron, Hannah Kearney, John Stewart, Jimmy Fallon, Ed Asner, Judy Collins, Martha Stewart, Steve Case, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Jay-Z, Fabio Viviani, Katherine McPhee, Jerry Seinfeld, Michael Moore, Madeleine Albright, John Starks, Ray Romano, Chris Matthews, James Earl Jones, Florence Henderson, Wolf Blitzer, Sean Penn, Jessica Simpson and Emeril Lagasse.