Facebook today released the first major update to its Paper for iOS app, adding a slew of new features just 10 weeks after the initial launch. You can download the new version now directly from Apple’s App Store.
F**k it, we'll do it live!
Our biggest ever edition of TNW Conference is fast approaching! Join 10,000 tech leaders this May in Amsterdam.
First up, Facebook has added notifications for birthdays and events. Just like on Facebook, tap the globe icon to stay posted.
Next, photo comments are exactly what you’d expect: sometimes words just aren’t enough to explain what you want to say. To add a photo comment, tap the camera next to the comments field, snap a picture, and post a photo as your reply.
While groups have been in Paper since day one, Facebook has now added unread counts so you can easily see which groups have new posts. To get to your groups, swipe down on any section cover to open the main menu and tap the three-line hamburger icon to the right of the Search field.
In addition to the original 50, Paper has also gained nine new article covers to help spot articles from Bloomberg News, Mashable, FT, kottke, Fox News, Popular Science, The Hollywood Reporter, Vanity Fair, and Hacker News. Looks like we need to get them to add TNW next!
Other updates include basic accessibility support, an arrow indicator that tells you when there are new stories in other sections, and the usual bug fixes to make the app “faster and more reliable.”
Here’s the full Paper version 1.1 for iOS changelog:
- Birthdays and events: Never miss a chance to celebrate! Just tap the notifications globe and scroll down to see important dates ahead.
- Photo comments: When words aren’t enough, now you can add photos to comments to show how you feel.
- Group updates: Don’t miss posts from your favorite groups. Swipe down to open the Main Menu. Tap the More Options icon to the right of the Search box. When you see your groups, check the new unread counts to catch up on the posts you’ve missed.
- New story buttons: To keep up with the latest stories in a section in fullscreen view, or to catch the newest stories in the next section, tap the new story arrows when they appear.
- More article covers: 9 new article covers join our collection, making easier to spot your favorite sources on Paper. Keep an eye out for Fox News, Bloomberg News, Mashable, FT, kottke, Popular Science, The Hollywood Reporter, Vanity Fair and Hacker News.
- Basic accessibility: All of your sections now support basic accessibility features, and we’re working to extend accessibility throughout the app.
Facebook also took the oportunity to share that Paper users explore an average of 80 stories each day across five to six sections. Facebook is the most popular section, followed by Headlines, Tech, Ideas, LOL, and Pop Life. Unfortunately, there’s still no word as to when the app will be available outside of the US, nor when it will launch on Android.
Top Image Credit: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images