A TEDx event in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, at my favorite music venue? Holy crap boss, I am going to need the day off!
The upcoming TEDx Brooklyn event, themed To Redefine “Better” will take place on Friday, December 2nd, 2011 at the city’s coolest music events stroke bowling venue. In case you didn’t know, Brooklyn Bowl is the world’s first LEED certified bowling alley and it serves up Blue Ribbon fare with locally brewed Brooklyn beer. The event will be hosted by Brooklyn comedian Eugene Mirman, and produced by co-directors Justin Bolognino and Varghese Chacko. The hosts are inviting Brooklynites, creative and business-savvy alike for an education and entertaining evening.
“The theme was born as a reaction to the common citing of the ‘American Dream,’ which essentially is to provide a ‘better’ life for each successive generation. We’re here to ask of our speakers, ‘what does better mean to you?’ We’ve curated speakers and performers who to us are striving to redefine better through their amazing work in/for the Brooklyn community and beyond.” ~Justin Bolognino, Co-Director TEDxBrooklyn
“The most awesome stage”
Last year, Facebook's VP of Design thought the TNW Conference main stage was the best she'd ever been on.
TEDxBrooklyn is bringing together “betterists” from all walks of life for a one-day stage program featuring TED like talks, music, art exhibits and tech demos. The speakers include innovators, entrepreneurs and community activists who have excelled in fields from landscape architecture and street art to sustainable farms and flea markets. A current list of speakers is below, with more to be announced.
- Eugene Mirman (Host) :: Comedian :: Smartest funny man in Brooklyn
- Susannah Drake :: Principal at dlandstudio pllc :: The future of landscape architecture
- Blake Whitman :: VP, Creative Development, Vimeo :: Online video community builder extraordinaire
- Jonny Wilson :: Founder of Eclectic Method :: Audiovisual remix producer/DJ
- Viraj Puri :: Co-Founder of Gotham Greens :: Rooftop farm in the heart of Brooklyn
- Sean Meenan :: Founder of Habana Outpost :: Sustainable hacienda
- Lisa Jamhoury and Dana Abrassart :: Independent Aerial Acrobats :: Creatively adorning Brooklyn’s airspace, with original musical accompaniment by Philip Joseph Restine III
- Jack Walsh :: Executive Producer of Celebrate Brooklyn! :: Legendary performance festival at the Prospect Park Bandshell, produced by BRIC Arts | Media | Bklyn
- Chad Dickerson :: CEO of Etsy :: The net’s most prosperous online flea market
- Jullien Gordon :: PurposeFinder :: Innerview.me + 30 Day Do It
- Farai Chideya :: Author/Public Radio Host :: Award winning writer & media personality
- Laurie Cumbo :: Founder and Executive Director of MoCADA :: Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan Art
- Ruth Ozeki :: Author/Filmmaker :: Ordained Zen minister to kick off the event
- Jen Lyon :: Founder of MeanRed Productions :: Brooklyn’s risk-taking event production
- Paul Steely White :: Executive Director of Transportation Alternatives :: Reclaiming NYC streets
An evening reception will close the event. Because only a limited number of tickets will be available to attend the event at Brooklyn Bowl, the event will be live streamed, with viewing available at a number of local venues. Learn more here.