Hulu today announced a big revamp of its Plus app, including better search and simplified controls. The new experience, as the company calls it, has already been rolled out for Samsung Smart TVs, select Blu-ray players, and Roku set-top boxes, but will also be coming to the Nintendo Wii “soon.”
Using the new app, you’ll immediately notice the new tray-style format. It features recommendations, popular shows and movies, top 100 clips, and movie trailers. Just like on the Apple TV, there’s also a new “Shows You Watch” feature that lets you jump straight to the latest episode.
The biggest improvement, however, is undoubtedly related to controls. The playback menu can now be accessed by just hitting up or down, while left is to rewind and right is to fast-forward.
The search function has also been tweaked. Results now appear directly beneath your query, as they really should have from the start.
The official feature list is as follows:
- Artwork. Larger and more vivid artwork, easier navigation.
- Trays. Tray-style format allowing you to scroll through recommendations, popular shows and movies, top 100 clips, movie trailers and a new “Shows You Watch” feature that lets you jump straight to the latest episodes of the shows you regularly watch.
- Search. Updated search experience providing a simpler way to find content with results that appear directly beneath the search.
- Controls. Playback is simplified with clean and intuitive controls: press up or down to display the playback menu, or left or right to fast-forward or rewind.
- Hulu Kids. Brings Hulu Kids section to the living room, letting your family enjoy commercial-free children’s shows from your couch.
- Easy Access. Simple to sign up for Hulu Plus directly from within the app.
As you can see, the remaining improvements include larger artwork, the inclusion of Hulu Kids, and support to sign up for Hulu Plus directly within the app. We’ll keep you posted as all of this comes to the Nintendo Wii and other devices too.
Top Image Credit: MJimages