If you’ve ever thought above moving your blog from one platform to the other, it can be rather tricky. Importing creates duplications of posts and a long list of other issues.
- Correctly handles post formats
- WP-Cron based background importing: start it up, then come back later to see how far it’s gotten
- Duplicate checking, will not create duplicate imported posts
- Imports posts, drafts, and pages
- Media Sideloading (for audio, video, and image posts)
Keeping all of your images, audio, and video intact is key, as Tumblr is popular for its media posts. Tumblr Importer even brings all of the stored items onto your new WordPress host. For example, my blog is currently hosted at Tumblr and contains mostly video and photo embeds.
To install, all you have to do is download the plugin, put it in its correct folder, and activate it through your Plugins menu on your WordPress blog.
If you’ve been thinking about making the move to WordPress from Tumblr, this is your best best. Hopefully there will be an option for the WordPress.com hosted blogs soon.
Thanks to Matt Mullenweg for the tip.