I have been looking to find a way to record my Skype VoIP calls. I do most of my interviews using Skype because my AT&T reception is very bad, I have to sit in my balcony in the northwest corner. I often lean over the balcony to get better reception. After almost dropping my phone and also myself off the balcony I now just make calls by Skype. The calls are recorded using the iPhone recording app carefully positioned closely to my laptop speakers. I still have no idea why Skype doesn’t implement this functionality.
Until that happens it’s time for me to branch out and find a better way to record my VoIP calls. In my search I came up with 5 great apps to record VoIP calls.
Pamela [Win] is free to download and allows you to record calls you make using Skype. It works on Windows devices and according to the website its certified by Skype. Here is a list of all the features that it has:
- Skype Call Recording
- Skype Video Recording
- Skype Chat Recording
- Skype Call Transfer
- Skype Call Scheduler
- Record calls automatically
- Mono/Stereo recording option
- Skype Conference Call manager
- Create cool mood messages
- Answering Machine
- Play sounds during calls
- Blogging & Podcasting
My main concern with the fluorescent purple app, is that recording times is restricted to 15 mins. Interviews that I do, only start to get interesting after 15 mins in, the free version of Pamela was not going to cut it with me. The premium version allows for unlimited call recording for $25. You download the app and follow the easy to understand installation instructions. Restart Skype and you’re good to record.
I thought to myself there must be a free version out there somewhere and then I discovered MP3 Skype Recorder.
MP3 Skype Recorder [Win] is like Pamela and allows you to record calls you make using Skype. It’s features include:
- It’s absolutely free with no limits attached.
- Automatic or manual recording capabilities.
- Compact format of stored records (mp3 files).
- May be used to record P2P, SkypeOut calls and calls made to Online number .
- Can split the caller and the person called into different tracks, saving it separately
- Easy integration with Skype Conference recording.
- Intuitive easy to use interface.
It is made for Windows users and the software is aimed for professional recordings of Skype conversations. Which is great when you need to keep track of phone conversations, either by legal requirements, or for job security. It works in the background and begins to record conversations automatically at the exact moment they start. However you can also record conversations manually, which is better for me. All the recordings are stored in convenient MP3, OGG, WMA or WAV format. The software integrates seamlessly with Skype and has better design and usability then Pamela. MP3 Skype Recorder hits all my needs for VoIP recording.
WireTap Studio [Mac] lets you record, edit, and export all audio on your Mac, from a specific app (like Skype or iTunes) or an external microphone. For tasks, like recording an iChat conversation, you can access WireTap Studio’s features directly from its streamlined controller window. The rest of WireTap Studio’s interface is also reassuringly easy to use, with handy tools for editing. It has a nifty feature which allows you to record from two sources at once. However it comes with a price tag of $69.
- Record Video Calls with Picture-in-Picture
- Share Recordings in MP3 Format
- Designed for Mac Users by Mac Users
- Advanced Compression Technology Saves Space
- Record audio Skype
- Share recorded calls
- Playback important
- Create a CD from a saved call to distribute
- New Skype 5.0 support
- Record Audio or Video
- Record Audio and Video
- Start and stop recording any time
- Time Lapse indicator
- Output Folder location control
- MP3, WMA or AAC audio file formats
- Quicktime Movies (MOV), MPEG4, MPEG, VOB, PSP MPEG4, SWF and FLV video file formats
IMcapture’s control panel is straightforward and easy to use. With the ability to record audio calls automatically or start and stop recording where you like. You can also change the Sample Rate to improve the recording quality or decrease the file size. It costs $49.95 and you can take a tutorial before purchasing here.
I think I will stick to the lovely free made for Windows MP3 Skype Recorder but if you are looking to record VoIP give one of these services a test drive.