The Configurator is a utility that is used to configure and manage multiple iOS devices at once with provisioning profiles, apps and more. It’s an excellent tool for administrators that have to deal with a bunch of devices at once.
F**k it, we'll do it live!
Our biggest ever edition of TNW Conference is fast approaching! Join 10,000 tech leaders this May in Amsterdam.
You can now give devices a global HTTP proxy as well, which is a nice addition. The last update for the Apple TV added support for the Configurator and this version adds the ability to configure advanced networking options which will make it easier to set up proxies and more.
The tool is used mostly by educational institutions, government agencies or companies that are outfitting their employees with iDevices. It also allows users to bring their own devices, but get outfitted with security profiles that allow them to comply with company policy.
Here are the rest of the updates:
- Support for new iOS 6 features on supervised iOS devices
- Lock to App
- Global HTTP Proxy
- Support for new iOS 6 restrictions on supervised iOS devices
- Allow the removal of apps from the device
- Allow use of iMessage
- Allow access to iBookstore or the purchase of books classified as Erotica from iBookstore
- Allow filtering of profanity for Siri
- Allow use of Game Center
- Allow the installation of new configuration profiles
- Improved reliability when activating a new iPhone or iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular
- The last settings used on the Prepare pane are retained when Apple Configurator is quit and relaunched
- Improved ability to update or restore devices that are currently in recovery mode
- Paid apps from the App Store can now be installed in the Prepare pane only when a device is being supervised
- Support for configuring advanced network options on Apple TV
- Bug fixes
Image Credit: Kenny Kunie