Have you ever wished you had a roofless three-wheel land vehicle powered by a propeller attached to an electric motor? You were wishing for the Trifly.
“This event was off the charts”
Gary Vaynerchuk was so impressed with TNW Conference 2016 he paused mid-talk to applaud us.
So where do you take your propeller-driven land vehicle once you build it? To a Starbucks drive-thru of course!
The Starbucks staff were unsurprisingly amused and surprisingly cooperative. I once tried going through a drive-thru without a car and was denied (the staff even refused the idea of me in a shopping cart).
The group clearly had a lot of fun with the project. In fact, it almost seems they had more fun putting it together than driving it around. The actual driving seemed more of a relaxing activity after all the horsing around during the construction process.
Here are some of the build details, from the project’s page:
- 20 HP (continuous) 72v neodymium motor.
- 36×12 cheapo mass produced beechwood hobby propeller.
- Two junked golf carts kindly donated from ODU.
- Ultra powerful demonic red projector LED’s from a scrapped theater projectors speaker housing for mounting lights.
- Glass shower knob adapted to throttle.
- “Racing” Ford Bronco bench seat practically given away on Craigslist.
- Custom machined adapters with a metal lathe to mount the atypical motor to the propeller
2.22 kWh 74v nominal LIPO battery pack, 400A controller.
- Old 4 AWG car stereo wiring and distribution blocks from highschool a decade ago.
This is the type of vehicle that makes us wish we all lived in a very warm city that had everything accessible a bike ride away. I know I would personally build a TriFly myself if it meant I could use it for all my driving needs.
Image credit: NSL