Josh Ong is the US Editor at The Next Web. He previously worked as TNW's China Editor and LA Reporter. Follow him on Twitter or email him a Josh Ong is the US Editor at The Next Web. He previously worked as TNW's China Editor and LA Reporter. Follow him on Twitter or email him at [email protected].
Ahead of Monday’s launch event, Microsoft has released an app for syncing Windows Phone 8 phones to Windows 8 and Windows RT.
The Verge noticed the software’s release and confirmed that it would not sync with a Windows Phone 7 device. That leaves it relatively useless for the time being.
Once the new phones arrive, the app will be able to:
- Get your music, photos, and videos from your computer to your phone (and vice versa).
- Quickly share things from your phone with Windows 8 apps (like Photos, or Search). You don’t even have to open the Windows Phone app to move things around.
- Automatically save photos and videos you take with your phone to your PC.
- See at a glance how much space you’re using for each type of content, so it’s easy to make sure you never run out of room on your phone.
- Get to WindowsPhone.com to download apps, learn more about your phone, or find it if it’s lost.
The wait shouldn’t be too long, though, as Microsoft is holding an event on Monday to officially launch its new mobile operating system. Based on the invitation, the launch should focus on new developments with Skype, Facebook and Internet Explorer. HTC will also be one of the partners at the event.
HTC already announced its HTC 8X and 8S Windows Phone 8 handsets back in September. Nokia also unveiled its lineup for Windows Phone 8 back in September, with the Lumia 920 as its flagship. Meanwhile, Samsung is set to release with an Ativ S Windows phone.
Monday won’t be quite as news heavy since Google had to postpone its event on the East coast, but Microsoft’s launch should still provide plenty of new toys for us to admire and/or buy.
Photo Credit: Spencer Platt/Getty Images
Get the TNW newsletter
Get the most important tech news in your inbox each week.