Vikas SN is the Indian Editor at The Next Web and is based out of Bangalore, India. He is extremely interested in Indian startups and shiny Vikas SN is the Indian Editor at The Next Web and is based out of Bangalore, India. He is extremely interested in Indian startups and shiny gadgets. You can follow him on Twitter, Google+ or contact him via email at [email protected]
Nielson India has published a video on its YouTube account, showcasing what does the Indian social media landscape currently look like.
Although the Nielsen data seems to be old at certain places, some of the interesting points to note from the video are:
- India has 134 million TV homes, 80 million Internet users and 583.22 million (not 450 million mobile users as mentioned in the video) with 240 million users experiencing the Internet on their phones.
- Over 2 million Indians accessed social media sites over the past year and it is expected to grow 36 times in the next 3 years.
- India is the 5th largest country for the social giant Facebook with 24 million users, of which 9 million have joined in last 6 months and it will be the the 2nd largest by 2012.
- Twitter has 9 million users and in 6 months, 25,000 users intend to join Twitter everyday.
- 20 million Indians look for online job openings every month. LinkedIn has 10 million users (not 9 million as stated in the video) and Indian firms will hire 35% of their staff from LinkedIn and similar websites.
- 10 million weddings take place in India every year which break down to 55,000 marriages every day. 13 million use social media to research their future partners.
- 37 million users read online reviews and 15 million of them do it through social media searches.
- 57 million consumers want to receive brand related information and 10 million are aware of brands present in social media
Get the TNW newsletter
Get the most important tech news in your inbox each week.