There’s been a fair bit of drama behind the latest Tweetie update. As VentureBeat reported earlier today, Apple had initially rejected the app’s latest update because the app contained “swear words” derived from Twitter’s trend.
However, it wasn’t long before the update had been approved by Apple and over the next few hours you should see an update waiting for you in the app store.
What’s exciting about this update you might ask? Well, firstly, it is (in my opinion) the best Twitter iPhone app out there. It’s fast, reliable, easy to use and slick – my only minor gripe was the systax used for “retweeting” which instead of keeping the more common “RT” before the tweet itself, the app used a less common “via” at the end of the tweet – minor of course, still a little annoying. Anyhow, app developer Loren Brichter has now provided the option to use RT instead of via, which is awesome.
Another exciting integration is ping.fm! You can now post to all your social networks from the app. I’m hoping that this excludes any @replies but we’ll have to see once the app has been released officially.
A third exciting development is a “dark theme” which I have yet to see, but if the design so far is anything to go on – it should be a nice change.
There are other awesome developments, in fact a list of them – have a read:
- Post pictures with Mobypicture and yfrog (in addition to TwitPic)
- New “Link” button to Add to Instapaper faster, and repost individual links
- View full-size profile images
- Dark theme
- Ping.fm integration
- Tweetshrink integration
- Twitlonger integration
- German localization
- Russian localization
- Allow DMs up to 255 characters
- Many UI tweaks
- Play back Song.ly links
- Option to use “RT” syntax
- Better feedback for posting a Map link
- Improved international date formatting
- Detect invalid profile images
- Fixed account sorting
- Fixed profile image URL decoding
- Fixed links with # anchors
- Fixed “(null)” problem when using bookmarklet
- Fixed problem with @ character in password field