January 2009 was a pretty big month – a month that saw Twitter hit the big time with that now iconic image of an Airbus ditching with no loss of life in the Hudson River, Stephen Fry, Tom Cruise and Jonathan Ross talking about Twitter on a prime-time UK chat show, and Twitter’s infrastructure holding up on January 20th for the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States.
Yes, it’s quite unscientific, and a personal view, but these are very funny. If you think you said something funnier last month, then follow @clarocada or @nextweblog, or add the hashtag #totw to your best tweets this month, and the watch out for the Top Tweets of February!
Art or Science?
You might want to check out the slightly more scientific approach of Favrd, which shows the ‘most favorited’ tweets (if you register with them as a one-off) and is also pretty hilarious. They do warn that “If you see Twitter as a venue for public relations or marketing, or as an audience eager to hear news of a post on your ‘blog’, or a rich hot sticky vertical, or if you consider yourself a web strategist, or if you talk earnestly about social media, or if you can read Techcrunch or listen to the Gillmor gang with a straight face…” it’s very unlikely the things you say on Twitter will show up there. So, ideal for Next Web Readers, I feel.
Here are the best Tweets that I found in January. Enjoy!
- gapingvoid@Sznq Oh No! The hippies have already taken over Web 2.0! Fuck it. I’m leaving. Good-bye.
- frontofficeboxAnd the latest news from UK banking sector is RBS loses £400 mill invested with Madorff – what a bunch if jerks no wonder charges are high
- GeoffLivingI am convinced. Having a lot of Twiiter followers means a) you are immensely popular/influential or b) you spend lots of time on Twitter.
- GilliganPierceDamn. My porn won’t download. How am I supposed to show all my friends what he looks like naked if the pictures don’t come through?
- KnightDiveryou’ve got to just love those 4:55pm client calls on a FRIDAY afternoon… I know I do.
- davidjhinsonG-d. Please, not another life coach. I’ve been married 23 years. I don’t need another coach in my life, thanks anyway.
- alisongowThinking dark thoughts about the delivery man whose non-appearance has sentenced me to freezing showers til Monday. Grrrrrrrrrrrr
- LenKendallSounds like transformers are having sex in my back alley. (garbage truck is slamming the dumpsters repeatedly)
- BankOfApathyOne moment while I access your account. Your available balance is…NOTHING YOU BROKE ASS VICTIM OF THE ECONOMY.
- patphelan£4.35 for a coffee and he hangs around for a tip
- weblivzi feel embarrassed for written language worldwide when i read my mums text messages. It’s like shorthand for minimalists.
- huddlesuzOur local hairdresser is offering 20% off. Bad times, people, bad times with good hair.
- leeoddenInternet marketing superstar wannabes. Just because you have an opinion and a way to distribute that opinion doesn’t mean you’re right.
- borisTwitter is like a sauna: we are all in the same space, we show everything, but are not really looking at each other.
- borisOf course some people are taking in every detail in this particular sauna and some people are really worth staring at. :-)
- BenRosenzweigI just kneeld down do get dish soap from under the sink. And split my pants… Lesson learned. “Don’t do the dishes”
- frontofficeboxMain stream media is killing itself, by just trotting out the rubbish fed it by politicians and PR – and we’re not listening
- ruskin147twice in 24 hours my first news of a story has come via twitter – Jobs yesterday, plane today
- CherylHarrisonAt the Apple store. Typing this on the computer that’s about to make me poor.
- weblivzthere’s now an oriental guy cleaning our curtains with a hoover. All all the sentences i thought i’d ever tweet that wasn’t high on the list
- ScobleizerOh, oh, I crashed offbeatguides.com — which is OK, my interview with founder is in 45 minutes. Now we have something to talk about! ;-)
- skydiverFor future ref: Delta doesn’t find it terribly amusing when you ask if they can make a stopover on 57th and the Hudson b4 heading to LGA. :)
- scottishlassis realising none of the available editing software has a screaming wean filter. Woah those peaks are like the Himalayas.
- johnfenzelDon’t worry if you’re a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.
- davidleekingthis morning, i was a cereal killer
- macwriterAs a copywriter, I like to say that I’ve in essence been microblogging for close to 20 years. Just for other people’s brands.
- globalcitizenDear cab driver, please unlock the child proof window controls so that I don’t have to suffocate on the smell of your fart. *puke*
- skydiverEmail of the day: “Peter, I’m interviewing media-savvy women for a women-interview-only blog and would like to interview you.” WTF?
- ianrmcallisterBBC Coverage looks amateurish, and I refuse to watch SkyNews because they can’t do news – switched to CNN
- HeatherPaulsonsUnfortunately I will have to explain to my son that his missing hamster now has molted into two dwarf hamsters.. All they had
- patrickMy mom asked my what I’d like to have for my 30th birthday, I replied: “I’d love to have one thousand followers”. It’s official, I’m a nerd
- themarketingguyI love my family, but they drank all my beer.
- SimpleEnglishOh no! I ‘ve been asked to write something longer than 140 characters. I don’t know if I can handle it.
- chacha102I find it an honor that people take the time to unfollow me.
- davewinerIf “favorites” were everything it needs to be then “RT” wouldn’t be necessary.
- bryanthatchersearching thru my stack of paper mail looking for something, I need google for my physical desktop.
- themarketingguyPlease do not let the first thing I see on your website be a pop-up sign up window. I don’t even know you yet.
- lyndomanCreativity comes best when you are challenged, you absolutely need someone to question, “what the hell are you talking about?”
- dalecruseOverheard: “Is Jim Morrison the Muppets guy?? I’m google-ing now…” *sigh*
- edialThis will be the era of Yahoo! baby, we are so BACK!
- edialShit. I expected riots on streets tonight, and now Google fixed it. Lame.
This list was first published on 2nd February 2009 at Digital Biographer by David Petherick