Founder Newspepper.com & Techfluff.TV. Loves social media, video on the Internet. Loves travel & pickled onions Founder Newspepper.com & Techfluff.TV. Loves social media, video on the Internet. Loves travel & pickled onions
The global hunt for the next Google or Facebook continues in Africa. We are bringing our international startup competition, Startup World to Cape Town, South Africa, Kenya, Nairobi, Dar Es Salam, Tanzania and Kigali, Rwanda. Startup World is holding pitching competitions in 36 cities world-wide, the winners will be invited to Silicon Valley for the grand final in 2012.
Prizes include a place at one of Silicon Valley’s top accelerators i/o Ventures. The Next Web continues to cover the growing startup culture in Africa with accelerators such as 88mph helping to kick-start technology culture.
If you are a startup in these countries you can apply now here. Criteria for entry for your startup is as follows:
- Your startup must have launched within the past two years.
- If you have received external funding it can only be up to $500,000.
- You must have a demonstrable product or service.
- You must be prepared to talk about your product in public and prepared for broadcast.
- Pitch must be in English or you must provide a translator.
- The startup can be across any field, but must be for profit.
We would like to thank our on-the ground partners including Violette Uwamutara from DoTrust Rwanda, Joshua Stern of Telerivet, George Mulamula DTBi in Dar es Salaam, Mbwana Alliy of Savannah VC, Kenya and Chris Rawlinson of Ogilvy, South Africa.
Startup World will be heading to South America next week holding pitching competitions in the following countries Mexico City, Lima, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. You can see the finalists for each city here.
Get the TNW newsletter
Get the most important tech news in your inbox each week.