Yesterday we gave you 5 reasons to attend Internet Week Europe in London this year, and now it seems Skype wants the whole of the UK to get involved, as it’s giving the UK free WiFi for the whole of next week to mark the event.
Similar to last year, as we reported at the time, Skype’s sponsorship of Internet Week Europe 2011 will see it giving everyone in the UK free access to wireless hotspots with Skype WiFi. Between Monday 7 and Friday 11 November, everyone can go online for up to 60 minutes for free.
Skype WiFi is basically wireless hotspots and it’s normally paid for with Skype Credit. It’s now available at over 1 million wireless hotspots around the world – hotels, airports, train stations, bars and restaurants. The WiFi hotspots will enable everyone participating in Internet Week Europe, as well as the rest of the UK, to tap into a free connection.
So…how do you get online with Skype WiFi?
On your laptop/computer
1. You’ll need the latest version of Skype (and an account, of course).
2. Join a Skype partner WiFi network – a message will ask if you want to get online using Skype WiFi.
3. Select Connect and you’re online.
4. Once you’ve finished, just select Disconnect.
Unlike last year, the offer will also be extended to mobile devices:
On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
1. Go to the App Store and download the Skype WiFi app.
2. Open the Skype WiFi app.
3. Sign in with your Skype account details. Don’t have an account? Create one now
4. Tap Connect and you’re online.
5. Once you’ve finished, just tap Disconnect.
If you want to find a hotspot, you can download the WorkSnug Pro app to find hotspots in your locality.