TNW Quick Hit:
The Silverlight 5 beta, promised to be released today, is now live for download. You can download it here.
Inside of Silverlight 5, as per our previous coverage, is:
- Hardware Media Decoding
- Trickplay – Variable speed playback and pitch correction
- Remote Control – A leanback experience for the PC that can use Silverlight as a remote
- 64-bit Version
- IIS Media Services 4.0 for smoother streaming to WP7 and iPad
According to the official Microsoft website on the matter, ‘top’ features in Silverlight 5 include:
- XAML Debugging with breakpoints for binding debugging
- Implicit data templates for easy UI reuse
- Double (and multi) click support
- GPU-accelerated XNA-compatible 3D and immediate-mode 2D API
- Low-latency sound effects and WAV support
- Real operating system windows and multi-display support
- Significant performance improvements, fixes and much more
Silverlight 5 is the next version of Microsoft’s often beleaguered, never dead, and now perhaps resurgent rich media plugin.
Many are expecting an announcement today regarding Silverlight and Xbox. We are keeping our eyes peeled.