Courtney Boyd Myers
Courtney Boyd Myers is the founder of audience.io, a transatlantic company designed to help New York and London based technology startups gr Courtney Boyd Myers is the founder of audience.io, a transatlantic company designed to help New York and London based technology startups grow internationally. Previously, she was the Features Editor and East Coast Editor of TNW covering New York City startups and digital innovation. She loves magnets + reading on a Kindle. You can follow her on Facebook, Twitter @CBM and Google +.
HopStop, a much loved website for public transit, cab, walking and biking directions can get you to and from anywhere you want to go in 57 major metropolitan markets throughout the U.S., Canada, Europe and Russia. As a busy 26-year old in the big city with a lemming’s sense of direction, I use its iPhone app almost everyday. The site provides maps marked with nearby subways and bus stops (and restaurants, bars, clubs, hotels etc.), estimations for taxi time and cost, calories burned, carbon emissions savings and the ability to re-route suggested transit plans. It even takes scheduled route changes due to construction and spontaneous subway delays into account.
Today, HopStop figured out which local beer gardens and hotel rooftop bars in New York City were drawing the biggest crowds this summer, by mining its historical search data. HopStop measured this by seeing which beer gardens were listed most often as either the destination address or starting address within a HopStop direction search in June and July of this year. In total, it considered 32 beer gardens across the five boroughs. It’s clear people will travel for beer, and thanks to HopStop, I assume everyone made it home without getting lost.
Here are the results:
Top 10 NYC Beer Gardens
1) Birreria (Flatiron District): get directions
2) The Standard Biergarten (West Village): get directions
3) Beekman Beer Garden Beach Club (South Street Seaport): get directions
4) Studio Square (Astoria, Queens): get directions
5) Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden (Astoria, Queens): get directions
6) The Lot on Tap (Chelsea): get directions
7) Spuyten Duyvil (Williamsburg, Brooklyn): get directions
8) Loreley (Lower East Side): get directions
9) Radegast Hall & Biergarten (Williamsburg, Brooklyn): get directions
10) Harlem Tavern (Harlem): get directions
HopStop also mined its historical data for the most popular hotels with rooftop bars throughout New York City. Here’s the list:
Top 10 NYC Hotels with Rooftop Bars
1) Standard Hotel – Le Bain (West Village): get directions
2) Library Hotel – Bookmarks Lounge (Murray Hill): get directions
3) Empire Hotel (Upper West Side): get directions
4) Trump SoHo – Bar d’Eau (South Village): get directions
5) 60 Thompson – A60, Thom Bar (South Village): get directions
6) Peninsula Hotel – Salon de Ning (Midtown): get directions
7) Hudson New York – Hudson Sky Terrace (Hell’s Kitchen): get directions
8) Hotel Gansevoort – Plunge, Provocateur (West Village): get directions
9) Hotel on Rivington (Lower East Side): get directions
10) Fairfield Inn – Sky Room (Hell’s Kitchen): get directions
Only two weeks left of summer! Soak up the sun while it lasts.
Read more: HopStop now provides carbon emissions savings with your directions.
Get the TNW newsletter
Get the most important tech news in your inbox each week.