Want to keep the TNW Conference vibe going?? Tickets for TNW2022 are available now >>

The heart of tech

This article was published on May 26, 2017

Disney CEO says its films are safe from hackers

Disney CEO says its films are safe from hackers
Rachel Kaser
Story by

Rachel Kaser

Internet Culture Writer

Rachel is a writer and former game critic from Central Texas. She enjoys gaming, writing mystery stories, streaming on Twitch, and horseback Rachel is a writer and former game critic from Central Texas. She enjoys gaming, writing mystery stories, streaming on Twitch, and horseback riding. Check her Twitter for curmudgeonly criticisms.

Last week, rumors were circulating that a certain Disney film had been stolen by hackers. Disney CEO Bob Iger now says the whole thing was much ado about nothing.

In an interview with Yahoo Finances‘ Nicole Sinclair, Iger said Disney were threatened, but most likely not hacked:

To our knowledge, we were not hacked. We had a threat of a hack, of a movie being stolen. We decided to take it seriously but not react in the manner in which the person who was threatening us had required … we didn’t believe, by the way, that it was real, and nothing has happened.

Iger says the company is committed to using technology to protect both its guests and its intellectual property. He doesn’t say whether or not the threatened film was Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, as many (including me) originally assumed. Regardless, the film is safe and will be released tomorrow.