The popularity of mobile devices combined with the explosive growth of apps and cloud-based computing are making it easier than ever before for people to take their expertise out of the office and set off on their own.
Here are a couple of interesting stats:
- 43.8% of all freelancers get the bulk of their training by teaching themselves.
- South American freelancers work the most with an average of 49 hours/week.
- The average age of a freelancer is 32 years old.
- The easiest way to get a freelancing job is by referrals at 34.2%
- The top reason for freelancing is the flexibility, followed by having creative control over projects.
- 40% of freelancers report having trouble getting paid wages they’re owed.
- Google Docs, Dropbox, and Skype are the most commonly used tools.
- Only 8.1% want to return to full-time employment.