The days of Blockbuster DVD-by-mail rental service may be far behind us, but GameFly is still trucking on with its game rental service. To keep up with the times, GameFly today launched a video game streaming service, exclusively on the Amazon Fire TV.
The service will be available as a monthly subscription with different game packs. At launch, GameFly will offer six packs with varying amount of titles, designed for gamers of all genres and ages.
Details of each packs and the prices are as follow:
- Action Pack (7 titles) – $6.99/month includes F.E.A.R. 3, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, Red Faction: Armageddon, Red Faction: Guerilla, Mafia II, Sleeping Dogs, and Hitman
- Adventure Pack (7 titles) – $6.99/month includes Dark Void, Overlord II, Darksiders, Darksiders II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City, and Batman: Arkham Origins
- Gamer Pack (16 titles) – $9.99/month includes F.E.A.R.3, Red Faction:Armageddon, Red Faction: Guerilla, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman, Darksiders, Darksiders II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City, Batman: Arkham Origins, Shank, Shank 2, Dark Void, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, Mafia II, and Overlord II
- Speed Pack (7 titles) – $6.99/month includes Ace Combat, Dirt 3, GRID, GRID 2, MotoGP13, Ridge Racer Unbounded, and WRC 4
- Fun Pack (7 titles) – $6.99/month includes Flock!, PAC-MAN Championship Edition, PAC-MAN and the Ghostly Adventures, LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams – Rise of the Owlverlord, and BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
- Lego Pack (7 titles) – $6.99/month includes LEGO Batman, LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, LEGO Lord of the Rings, LEGO Harry Potter 5-7, LEGO Marvel: Super Heroes, and LEGO The Hobbit
All games are optimized to work with the Amazon Fire TV game controller (sold separately from the set-top box). The new streaming service is made possible through GameFly’s acquisition of Israel-based Playcast Media, a cloud gaming service.
Despite getting into the movie rental market last year, Hodess says he has no plans for the streaming service to offer movies and TV content, and will instead focus on the game market to evaluate its offering based on popular and user-requested titles.
At this time, no special pricing model is available for current GameFly customers, but Hodess says the company is working to provide users special incentives to try the new service. If your Amazon Fire TV game controller has been sitting around collecting dust, now you’ll have some new content to test out.