If there’s ever been any doubt that Apple is dead serious about movies, this should help to quell the thoughts. Apple has just released a brand new app for iOS (4.3 or higher) called iTunes Movie Trailers that brings movie HD movie trailers to your pocket.
- Access hundreds of movie trailers, clips, behind-the-scenes featurettes, and images, available in HD or SD.
- Explore an interactive, year-long release calendar that helps you plan when you’ll be going to the theaters.
- Save favorite movies and theaters for immediate access anytime.
- Search what’s playing at your local theaters and purchase tickets directly from your iPad or iPhone.
- Save images to your iPad photo gallery, to use as iPad or desktop wallpapers or send to your friends.
- Browse top charts to view the most downloaded trailers, box office rankings, and top movies on iTunes to buy or rent.
What’s probably most interesting, and important, is that it’s AirPlay enabled, so you can watch the trailers on your Apple TV. There’s also the ability to share your favorites via Twitter recommendation (iOS 5 required) and you can use iCloud to save the trailers across your iOS devices. Oh, and if you get it on the iPad, it looks incredible:
It’s an interesting move from Apple, after killing off its Front Row feature from OS X Lion (missed our Lion review? Check it out here.) only a couple of months ago. It adds to the thought that Apple wants you to enjoy viewing experiences from handheld devices, rather than from your laptop or desktop.
Want to catch all of our iOS 5 coverage and the latest apps? Check it out here.
Pssst, hey you!
Do you want to get the sassiest daily tech newsletter every day, in your inbox, for FREE? Of course you do: sign up for Big Spam here.