Amazon has today launched a $79 version of its Kindle ebook reader alongside a $199 tablet device called the Kindle Fire, reports Bloomberg. This new $79 Kindle (non touch) weighs under 6oz and is 18% smaller than the former Kindle.
This device lacks a physical keyboard but does still feature page turn and menu buttons as there is no touch on this Kindle, unlike the Kindle touch, also revealed today.
- Display Amazon’s 6″ diagonal e-ink Pearl display at 600 x 800 pixel resolution at 167 ppi, 16-level gray scale.
- Size (in inches) 6.5″ x 4.5″ x 0.34″ (166 mm x 114 mm x 8.7 mm)
- Weight 5.98 ounces (170 grams)
- System Requirements None, because it’s wireless and doesn’t require a computer to download content.
- On-device Storage Up to 1,400 books or 2GB internal (approximately 1.25GB available for user content).
- Cloud Storage Free cloud storage for all Amazon content.
- Battery Life A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time. Keep wireless always on and it lasts for up to 3 weeks. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store, web browsing, and downloading content.
- Charge Time Fully charges in approximately 3 hours via the included USB 2.0 cable connected to a computer. U.S. power adapter sold separately.
- USB Port USB 2.0 (micro-B connector)
- Content Formats Supported Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.
F**k it, we'll do it live!
Our biggest ever edition of TNW Conference is fast approaching! Join 10,000 tech leaders this May in Amsterdam.
You can order your Kindle now at Amazon for $79.
Read next: Live Blog from Amazon's Tablet Press Event