Google’s Nexus One smartphone has been the subject of much debate since it’s launch.
Offering near unbeatable hardware specifications and the latest release of the Android operating system, the device itself was highly desirable.
So. Much. Tech.
Some of the biggest names in tech are coming to TNW Conference in Amsterdam this May.
However, Google’s decision to market and distribute the Nexus One almost entirely online ultimately limited demand for the smartphone, meaning launch sales were somewhat underwhelming.
In an effort to increase the visibility of the device and improve demand for this and future Google phones, the search giant has posted a new job listing on their recruitment portal. The role is that of a Product Marketing Manager, where a successful applicant with be tasked with formulating future marketing strategies for both the Android operating system and Nexus One smartphone.
Put simply, the applicants primary role would be focused on “increasing the number of device sales and increasing awareness of the Nexus One brand. ”
The opening of this position could indicate Google’s willingness to look beyond their online-only marketing model and target consumers through more traditional avenues. With the device expected to launch soon with Verizon in the US and with Vodafone in the UK, it seems the perfect time to re-evaluate and streamline their marketing efforts to coincide with the Nexus One retail launches.
Here is the job listing in full:
The role: Product Marketing Manager, Android and Nexus One
The Android space is a big opportunity for Google, and an area of strategic importance. As Product Marketing Manager for Android and Nexus One, you support the Direct-To-Consumer marketing plans and initiatives that will be rolled out in the coming months. You are focused on increasing the number of device sales and increasing awareness of the Nexus One brand.
- Be part of the team that drives and executes on a comprehensive marketing strategy for Direct-to-Consumer.
- Coordinate appropriately across product areas and teams, to ensure that campaigns reach our audience through all appropriate touch points.
- Work closely with global counterpoints in Android marketing to ensure global cohesion, communication, and scalability for local strategy, campaigns, and launches.
- Be a true product and industry expert for Android.
- Bachelors degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
- At least 7 years of work experience, with at least 3 years experience in mobile-related ventures. E-commerce and retail experience a plus.
- Demonstrated analytical success.
- Passion and prior work experience in mobile.
- Good understanding of Google’s strategic and competitive position in Android/Mobile.
- Strong organizational, leadership, and analytical skills as well as outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Strong aptitude for determining the optimal way to position products in the market.