Huge conference LeWeb is a firm fixture on the European tech events calendar, pulling in attendees from across the world to meet, network, do business and socialize in Paris each December. So, it’s no surprise that the LeWeb Startup Competition is one of the most high-profile places that a company can launch in Europe.
This year’s competition opened for applicants back in September, and the final 16, who will be presenting onstage at the event next month, have now been announced. All have raised less than €1.5m ($2m US) of investment and will launch either their company or a new product or feature at this year’s event.
LeWeb’s theme for 2012 is the Internet of Things, and so some of the finalists are tackling the challenges of bringing the physical world online.
- Agent of Presence: ”Fashion accessories that embrace the collision of fashion and technology without sacrificing style.”
- Alleantia S.r.l.: Internet-of-things-enabled sensors.
- ALTHEIA: Mobile data services over 2G connections.
- Argus Labs: Produces Jini, “your personal advisor that gives you cool ideas at the right time and place!”
- Biletu.com: Mobile payments between friends.
- GreenMomit S.L.: Technology designed to control energy consumption.
- InTOino: “InTOino brings your Arduino ideas to life: no need for nerd degree!”
- kWIQly: Uses energy consumption data to highlight opportunities to save money.
- Lyncos Technologies SL: Allows you to connect objects to the cloud and communicate with them online.
- Phonitive: Its Touchalize product makes mobile videos interactive.
- qunb: Aims to make quantitive data as easy to search for on the Web as websites, videos or images.
- Recommend: There’s not a lot of information about this one yet, bar a cool domain name: re.co
- Snapeous: An app that “allows you to add digital content (photos, links to videos, comments) to real world objects with barcodes or QR codes on them.”
- Ujoolt: Real-time, geotagged information, presented on a map.
- wiMAN: Makes businesses’ WiFi networks more social for customers.
- World Climate Credit: Offers MySollars, “The only Loyalty Solution that actively fights Climate Change and rewards Carbon Neutrality.”
The Next Web will be reporting from LeWeb when it opens its doors from the 4th to the 6th of December. Tickets are on sale now and there are discounts available for students, freelance developers and startups. See you there!
Image credit: AFP / Getty Images