Today we discovered the account to be that of a fictional character but nevertheless, I was personally left intrigued as to why someone would want to create such an account, and so went ahead and requested a quick interview. Fortunately the person behind the account is very different to the character they portray.
(These questions were answered via email.)
Ok, if you could answer as many as possible that would be much appreciated.
Firstly sorry if I make any spelling errors haven’t slept too well as I thought I might get arrested lol
1. Who are you? (or as much as you can tell me about who you are…what do you do? location? family? age?)
I am an artist who was bored of the predictablity of social networking
conversations. I live in Brighton. I am in my thirties
2. Where did the idea come from
A character that has appeared in some of my sketches and paintings.
Born out of a horror story I thought up called the ‘beetle man’ when I
3. What are you trying to achieve?
Honestly. To make people consider being a little more experimental
with content. Thinking about content as something to be celebrated not
regurgitated. Some people have said they want to add their own
characters now, which is great, maybe dinner_guest will get some
creepy friends to play with
4. How are you/will you measure results?
not something I considered. I will use some free tools like
addictomatic most likely
5. Where does that profile pic come from?
It’s a Francis Bacon painting. Francis painted the human body like it
left a snail trail on the canvas, I guess Dinner_guests trail is in
tweets, comments and articles. It’s exciting to think of it as
interactive art, rather than a few tweets.
6. Where does the name come from?
I just thought it sounded interesting and yet not too obvious. It is
also something I had planned would make sense in more tweets
7. What would your thoughts be if a similar account was launched and turned out to be real.
It would be hideous, but who knows who is out there in any of these
networks. Then again I really don’t know any of my neighbours, they
could be shrinking heads for all I know.
8. How did you decide who to follow back?
First come first served, then a few randoms. Wanted to keep it small around 20
9. What has the general reaction been from followers and such?
Mostly supportive which is a little worrying lol. I think it woke a
few people up and made others a little jealous too, mostly due to it’s
10. Do the lists you follow reflect your ‘real’ character or are they all part of the character you’re trying to portray? (eg. environmentalist, pervs-freaks, torture)
Well the story will continue to explain the whole animal rights bit,
but yes dinner_guest chose to follow a few freakizens, safety in
numbers maybe x
END OF INTERVIEW.
I did ask one final question via DM on Twitter.
(In real life) are you male or female.
i’d like to leave that to the imagination if thats ok ;)
:) ok, fair enough. I’m going to assume you’re female though. Not many men I know leave little kisses at the end of messages :).
depends what kind of man i am zee
Which officially ended the conversation on an appropriately creepy note. :)
Read next: Startup Barcamp Sydney - This Saturday.