From June 30, the poles used for snapping superior self-portraits won’t make it past the bag check at Disney World and Disneyland. The ban will roll out to the company’s parks in Paris and Hong Kong on July 1.
Disney World spokesperson Kim Prunty told the Orlando Sentinel: “We strive to provide a great experience for the entire family, and unfortunately selfie-sticks have become a growing safety concern for both our guests and cast.”
The company had previously instituted selfie-stick bans on specific rides, including Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Cast members – which often means people in big head suits – issued verbal warnings. Can you imagine being told off by Mickey?
Earlier this week, a roller coaster at the Disney California Adventure park had to be halted in the middle of a run after a passenger pulled out a selfie-stick. The ride was closed for an hour.
Of course, conspiracy theorists will no doubt be quick to conclude that Disney is simply trying to sell more of its own photographs of you having fun at its attractions.
➤ Disney World will ban selfie-sticks from its theme parks [Orlando Sentinel]
Published June 26, 2015 — 13:31 UTC