With SXSW kicking off in Texas this weekend, there was a whole lot you missed out on if you spent the weekend away from your screens and ignoring the world of tech news.
Luckily for you, however, we were paying attention while you were doing other things.
“This event was off the charts”
Gary Vaynerchuk was so impressed with TNW Conference 2016 he paused mid-talk to applaud us.
So all you need to do is make yourself a drink, silence your phone and catch up on everything you missed in the last two days.
News from The Next Web
- Obama on FBI v. Apple, encryption: ‘We can’t fetishize our phones above other values’
- The Minix NEO C hub made my tiny MacBook a desktop powerhouse
- Google’s self-driving car for purchase? Not until it’s ‘safer than a human’
- Amazon Alexa’s new feature could be the best or worst thing for your bank account
- 21’s Bitcoin computer now lets developers buy and sell API calls without a credit card
- Check out this weird, futuristic music controller built by a DJ
- Sony’s Future Lab demos its next-gen wearable prototypes at SXSW
- AlphaGo’s victory means the world is about to change
- This Florida sheriff will jail “rascal” Tim Cook if he doesn’t open up the iPhone
Good reads, reviews, features, distractions, deals and more
- The UK is about to become a more hellish version of George Orwell’s 1984
- After Apple, the Justice Department is targeting WhatsApp over encryption
- If (when?) Yahoo goes under, who should buy Flickr and Tumblr?
- Forget cats and TIE fighters, there’s tons of tech for good at SXSW too
- Watch 6 bug-sized robots tow a 3,900lb SUV
- Is your data being used against you?
- 4 gadgets to spice up your epic house party
- ‘Game of Thrones’ returns to SXSW with The Hall of Faces interactive exhibit
- When free speech means hate speech, should the Internet protect it?
- Weekend business update: Apple rebukes FBI, multi-billion valuation for WeWork and more
- We played the emotion-detection game with Pepper the affectionate robot
- Web development made easy: The coding 101 bundle now 99% off
- Your business needs a mobile app – ShoutEm makes it simple
- This week in patents: Google ads, Facebook says “hello” and more
- The Connected Yard is about to make gardening a whole lot smarter
- Imagineers: Cybersecurity expert Jaya Baloo on hackers, AI and creating better humans
- One of the world’s most notorious hackers just revealed his identity to me
From beyond The Next Web
- Car makers test technology to make you pay attention to the road [The Wall Street Journal]
- Millennials, technology will not save your generation [The Guardian]
- SXSW addresses online harassment of women in gaming [The New York Times]