BFI revamps its on-demand platform for indie movies

BFI revamps its on-demand platform for indie movies

The British Film Institute (BFI) has redesigned its platform for independent films to make it easier for users to navigate, and to provide room to show off additional content.

As well as making things a little slicker and simpler, the redesign allows the BFI to offer more titles than before: around 1,400 films are now available to stream through the platform.

The BFI said around 60 percent of these are free, and the remaining 40 percent are charged from £1 for shorts and from £2.50 for feature length rentals. Users get one month to watch the rented title and can re-watch it for a second time within 48 hours of the first viewing. BFI members get a 15 percent discount on all films and access to other offers too.


The organization is also offering themed collections of shows and movies. For example, November is Sci-Fi movies month and includes classics such as Flash Gordon and The Day The Earth Caught Fire, alongside more recent movies like Under the Skin.

In addition to free films and content curated by the BFI team, the platform also features a ‘Film of the day’ and a ‘Did you know?’ section to deliver extra facts, anecdotes, quotes and stories for users.

For film buffs or documentary fans, it’s a great resource of hard-to-track-down and independent titles – but for now, it’s UK users only.

BFI Player

Read next: Mozilla’s Firefox OS is launching in Africa

Corona coverage

Read our daily coverage on how the tech industry is responding to the coronavirus and subscribe to our weekly newsletter Coronavirus in Context.

For tips and tricks on working remotely, check out our Growth Quarters articles here or follow us on Twitter.