Did you know that on September 29, 1829, the British Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel established the London Metropolitan Police force, which is where the nickname ‘bobbies’ (and lesser used ‘peelers’) to mean policemen comes from? Of course you did.
Had you been reading the papers that day, you’d have been awash in a sea of articles about the new punitive and preventative powers that the Met Police brought. What you’d have not had is a weekend round up of all the news you’d missed in the run-up to such an important day.
Ever been to a tech festival?
TNW Conference won best European Event 2016 for our festival vibe. See what's in store for 2017.
Thankfully, we’re here to stop that ever happening to you in the tech world, so make yourself a coffee, silence your phone for 10 minutes and catch up on all the best tech news and features you’ve missed from across the last two days while you were doing other things.
News from The Next Web
- Ello Experiences Major Outage: Site is Currently Unavailable
- Google Now TV Cards Quietly Appear in the UK
- Microsoft accidentally reveals ‘Windows TH’ name on preview site
- Sony’s PlayStation Home to Close
- Hands On With Ping, The New App From Secret
- Is Google Money Getting More Girls into Tech?
- Reinventing Money Transfers with Bitcoin
- Hands on: ProCamera 8 Overhaul Boosts DSLR Style-shooter with Third-party HDR
- A Day in the Life of a Social Media Manager
- Famous Founders and Investors: Blessing or Curse?
- Top 6 Characteristics of Rock Star Chief Product Officers
- How to Retarget Your Audience With Native Advertising
- How Do Advertisers Find Users on Second Devices?
From beyond The Next Web
- Ello, goodbye [Aral Balkan]
- An Audacious Plan to Fix the Internet’s Original Sin [Fortune]
- Instagram Reportedly Blocked in China amid Hong Kong Protests [Reuters]
So, there you have it, the biggest news and features from the last two days. Of course, if you fear missing out in the future, you can always subscribe to our individually crafted newsletters or Like our Facebook Page to stay in touch.
Image credit: Shutterstock