Mobile music identification service Shazam has released its tagging statistics for 2012 and predictions of what we all will be listening in 2013.
Following a similar Spotify’s report from yesterday, Shazam has presented its chart for 2012, showing what music its users wanted to identify with the service’s help. And Gotye has come out trumps again, outnumbering the closest chaser by almost 7 million tags.
“We're hunting for awesome startups”
Run an early-stage company? We're inviting 250 to exhibit at TNW Conference and pitch on stage!
The lists of most popular tracks worldwide from the two major entertainment players have 6 out of 10 positions in common, but the only corresponding match is the number one spot.
Top tagged songs of 2012 (global)
1. Gotye (featuring Kimbra), “Somebody That I Used to Know” (14.9M tags)
2. Fun. (featuring Janelle Monae), “We Are Young” (8.1M tags)
3. David Guetta (featuring Sia), “Titanium” (5.8M tags)
4. Carly Rae Jepsen, “Call Me Maybe” (5.7M tags)
5. Flo Rida, “Good Feeling” (5.1M tags)
6. Rihanna (featuring Calvin Harris), “We Found Love” (4.9M tags)
7. Alex Clare, “Too Close” (4.9M tags)
8. Train, “Drive By” (4.3M tags)
9. Flo Rida (featuring Sia), “Wild Ones” (4.2M tags)
10. Ellie Goulding, “Lights” (4.2M tags)
Top tagged artists of 2012 (global)
1. Rihanna (15.1M tags)
2. Gotye (14.5M tags)
3. David Guetta (13.7M tags)
4. Adele (12.1M tags)
5. Maroon 5 (9.9M tags)
6. Flo Rida (9.8M tags)
7. Pitbull (7.9M tags)
8. Fun. (7.8M tags)
9. Katy Perry (7.7M tags)
10. Train (6.6M tags)
In its report, Shazam notes the incredible number of tags notched up by Alex Clare in March. If you don’t remember the name, this is the guy whose songs have been used in IE 9 commercials.
In a single day, tagging activity jumped “from about ten a day to tens of thousands.”
What’s hot in 2013
And here’s the chart of the future, where Shazam predicts who’s going to be making headlines next year:
- French Montana – an American Moroccan rapper.
- Bei Maejor – this writer and producer has worked Trey Songz and Justin Bieber, and now is looking for a solo career.
- Aluna George – a London-based band playing R&B-inspired electronic music.
- Joey Bada$$ – a young 90s-style Brooklyn rapper.
- Becky G – Simon Cowell and will.i.am are her fans.
- Angel Haze – a female rapper.
- Rhye – a duo, playinng soul-drenched pop music.
- Tito Lopez – a rapper of growing popularity.
- Baauer – a bass-heavy dance music produces.
- Haim – a band of three sisters from LA.
Image credit: Яick Harris / Flickr.