Google Glass has not been released to mainstream consumers yet but already the device has gotten an update, after Google pushed an over-the-air software patch that enhances the Google+ experience and makes better use of resources.
The most notable changes that users will see after installing the XE5 update is the introduction of incoming Google+ notifications — including direct shares, comments and mentions — and the ability to comment and +1 other users’ posts. Incoming notification for Google+ Hangouts has also be added.
Ever been to a tech festival?
TNW Conference won best European Event 2016 for our festival vibe. See what's in store for 2017.
The update will also restrict background uploads, which will now only be triggered when the unit is plugged in to power and using WiFi, so as to conserve power and resources for the wearable device.
Phandroid has full details of the changelog, which reads as follows:
- Change to sync policy: require power + wifi for background uploads
- Crash reporting
- Incoming G+ notifications (direct shares, comments, +mentions), including ability to comment and +1
- Incoming Hangout notifications
- Transcription of queries & messages is now wicked-fast
- Long-press to search from anywhere in the UI (no longer just from off)
- International number dialing + SMS
- Hop animation on disallowed swipes in the UI
- New On-Head Detection calibration flow
- Show device Serial Number on Device Info card
- More reliable estimation of battery charge remaining
- New recipient-list mosaic
Headline image via DPA/Getty Images