So what is going on over at the Googleplex? Why would two high level members of the team leave what Google certainly considers a top-priority product at basically the same time? Is it just a case of them putting everything they had into a project and now they feel they need to move on? Or is it something more/else? If any of the involved parties want to email us, we’d be happy to post the response.
The rest of this post is pure speculation – please only read on if you’re comfortable with that (we’re not Gawker after all).
So what else could be going on? Here’s some ideas:
- Google doesn’t like the direction that Android has taken and wants to make changes in staff (somewhat likely).
- The employees don’t like the direction that Android has taken, and are fed up (more likely).
- Google can’t afford to keep everyone on staff (highly unlikely, they’re loaded).
- Facebook and LinkedIn are actively recruiting Android employees to build/improve their Android apps (very likely, and still attractive destinations as neither has gone IPO yet).
- Google – contrary to this report – thinks that Android is on the right path but that the iPhone OS is kicking its butt, especially after seeing iPhone OS 4.0 demoed, and wants to shake things up a bit on its team to get them really going (also highly likely)
- Combination of any of these (most likely)
Thoughts? Other (conspiracy) theories?
Read next: Walmart Expects To Sell iPads This Year