All this makes Facebook pretty much unparalleled when it comes to overall messaging users. After all, WhatsApp hit 1 billion monthly active users in February earlier this year. While there’s surely a significant overlap, it still means over 1 out every 7 people on the planet are using one Facebook’s chat apps.
Ever been to a tech festival?
TNW Conference won best European Event 2016 for our festival vibe. See what's in store for 2017.
To celebrate, Facebook is placing a little Easter egg into the app: send a balloon emoji to someone and see what happens.
The company also released some stats:
- The most popular sticker pack was Angry Birds
- People send 22 million GIFs every day, or 254 GIFs per second
- People have played 1.2 billion games of basketball
- And 250 million soccer games
- 300 million flowers for Mother’s Day
- 360 million valentines
Okay, we get it Facebook — Messenger is popular.
Read next: The slowpoke's guide to playing Pokémon Go