- It was reported that music streaming service Deezer had raised $130m from Access Industries. The company today confirmed the huge round.
- Instagram celebrated its second year, with over 100 million users and over 5 billion photos shared.
- Etsy targets the UK market with 2 million uniques per month and 3 million sales set for the holiday season.
- David Blaine gets ‘electrified’ as kids in London use laptops to change the current remotely
- Apple posts support advisory to explain and ease iPhone 5 purple lens flare worries.
- Microsoft accidentally asked Google to censor BBC, CBS, CNN, Wikipedia, and even the US government.
- Mozilla introduces Chrome-like downloader to streamline Firefox installations on Windows
Make sure you catch these features, published over the weekend. Perfect to read over your lunch or on that dull bus ride home. If it looks like we were a little obsessed with the seedier side of the Web this weekend, it’s because we published a few articles that featured in last month’s TNW Magazine, which based around the theme of ‘NSFW’.
- The rise of alternative porn: Communities, boundaries & profits
- Interview: Cyan Banister, founder of the first venture backed porn site, Zivity
- Urban farm or fancier phone? How you can start a productive homestead for less than the cost of an iPhone 5
- How technology is changing the way we have sex
- From ASCII to streaming video: How the Internet created a multi-billion dollar porn industry
- Let’s ask the experts: What is NSFW?
- Turn aid upside down through global, social enterprise
- Yes, Facebook could buy Zynga, but no, Facebook should not buy Zynga
- Mail-order drugs, hitmen & child porn: A journey into the dark corners of the deep web
And from elsewhere…
“The most awesome stage”
Here are some pieces that you definitely shouldn’t miss from around the Web:
- The bubble that wasn’t: what happened to ‘people discovery’ apps? [The Verge]
- Why Zynga Failed [TechCrunch]
- A Master of Improv, Writing Twitter’s Script [New York Times]
- What Happened to the Facebook Killer? It’s Complicated [Mother Board]