Till Windows Mobile 6.x OEMs had a lot of freedom to customize the user experience and user interface but with Windows Phone 7 that has all gone out the window.
Documents leaked on two separate occasions have detailed what the OEMs have the liberty to customize. The earlier leak gave a lot of details about the architectural design of Windows Phone 7, the new leak has more details on the platform.
The following are the highlights from the two leaks:
- Windows Live Integration: first thing you’ll be asked to do
- OEMs are responsible for Direct3D drivers
- OEMs cannot bundle trialware on the phone
The different OEMs will be allowed to have some level of customization to differentiate their devices, such as:
- can take up to 60MB space and pre-install maximum of 6 apps
- change the default search engine in Mobile Internet Explorer
- start up wallpaper
- tiles on Home screen
- lock screen wallpapers
For the developers, applications won’t be CAB files, instead XAP. Something that I’m really looking forward to is GeoTagged Videos.