Till Windows Mobile 6.x OEMs had a lot of freedom to customize the user experience and user interface but with Windows Phone 7 that has all gone out the window.
Documents leaked on two separate occasions have detailed what the OEMs have the liberty to customize. The earlier leak gave a lot of details about the architectural design of Windows Phone 7, the new leak has more details on the platform.
So. Much. Tech.
Some of the biggest names in tech are coming to TNW Conference in Amsterdam this May.
The following are the highlights from the two leaks:
- Windows Live Integration: first thing you’ll be asked to do
- OEMs are responsible for Direct3D drivers
- OEMs cannot bundle trialware on the phone
The different OEMs will be allowed to have some level of customization to differentiate their devices, such as:
- can take up to 60MB space and pre-install maximum of 6 apps
- change the default search engine in Mobile Internet Explorer
- start up wallpaper
- tiles on Home screen
- lock screen wallpapers
For the developers, applications won’t be CAB files, instead XAP. Something that I’m really looking forward to is GeoTagged Videos.