Mobile music discovery service Shazam has moved closer to Hollywood with an announcement that it has partnered with movie studio 20th Century Fox to launch its first movie promotion campaign.
Using the company’s Shazam for TV technology, users will be able to access exclusive content from the latest Alvin and the Chipmunks movie ‘Chipwrecked’, simply by tagging the film using the application. Once it has been tagged, it will reside in the user’s Tag List, allowing them to access Chipwrecked content until the end of December.
So. Much. Tech.
Some of the biggest names in tech are coming to TNW Conference in Amsterdam this May.
The exclusive content will include:
- A limited-time free download of the film’s hit single, “Vacation,” performed by Alvin and the Chipmunks
- An extended Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked trailer
- Additional clips from the movie
- A link to buy the first two Alvin and the Chipmunk movies on Blu-ray or DVD from Amazon.com
- A link to purchase tickets to Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
Of course, the promotion is aimed at a younger audience but it will appeal to adults too, helping to boost the profile of the film, keep kids entertained and increase the usage of Shazam’s TV-centric tagging technology.
Shazam now boasts more than 165 million users and recently moved to ditch tagging limitations on music tracks, television shows and commercials in its iOS apps.
The service already identifies over 1 billion songs a year, driving over $100 million in music sales via its service, helping Shazam move into television advert tagging and now movie promotions.