The news doesn’t respect weekends and public holidays, and every time you go offline there’s always a backlog of stories worth reading when you return. Find the most interesting and meaningful news and reads from The Next Web and elsewhere in this brief round-up.
In the news
- The big fight begins: Windows XP drops below 40% market share while Windows 8 passes 1%.
- Apple has joined the ranks of businesses around the world to support the World AIDS Day by changing all its retail store logos to red.
- Trim time! Yahoo Messenger will lose public chat rooms, Windows Live Messenger support, Pingbox, and Yahoo Voice Phone In and Phone Out capabilities on December 14.
- Internet in Syria began to be coming back on Saturday, following two days offline.
- Microsoft is going to add music playback capabilities to SkyDrive, perhaps taking Xbox Music to iOS and Android.
- A man is charged $1.5 million for sharing 7 porn flicks on Bittorrent in “the largest file-sharing related damage award in U.S. history.”
- A fresh draft of President Obama’s potential executive order on cybersecurity has been leaked, and widely critiqued.
- “American Banker” has named Square’s Jack Dorsey Innovator of the Year, praising his impact on payments space.
- Following exclusive interview with CNN, John McAfee reportedly has been captured, according to his own blog.
- A slippery slope: UK ISPs have blocked The Promo Bay, a completely legal site separate from The Pirate Bay.
Good reads from our authors
- Did smartphones kill the trivia star? Maybe, but Google-proof quizzes could help beat the cheats.
- What happens after you win a big startup competition? We asked 7 champions from major events.
- A practical guide on accurately scheduling client projects.
- Cloud atlas: A weather forecast on the Chinese cloud industry.
- Five unconventional places to shop for your holiday gifts.
- The life and times of Kim Dotcom.
- How to hire the right developer for your tech startup.
- Meet Elephanti, the loyalty card version of Foursquare designed to bring customers inside the retail store.
- The valley vs. the rest: The state of the venture capital industry.
Good reads from beyond TNW
- Startups, please write better emails! [MHJ.tc]
- Disruptions: Silencing the Voices of Militants on Twitter [The New York Times]
- Dear ITU, please don’t bill Internet use like phone calls [ArsTechnica]
- The product lens [Chris Dixon]
- Breaking Through Cloud Addiction [TechCrunch]
- How script kiddies can hijack your browser to steal your password [ArsTechnica]
- The future of Ubuntu revealed [TechRadar]
Image credit: Paul J. Richards / Getty Images.